The top 5 institutions in Europe are:
1. University of Oxford, United Kingdom (47 Top-10 subjects, world rank: 8)
2. University of Cambridge, United Kingdom (38 Top-10 subjects, world rank: 11)
3. University College London, United Kingdom (37 Top-10 subjects, world rank: 13)
4. Swiss Federal Institute of Technology in Zurich, Switzerland (18 Top-10 subjects, world rank 28)
5. Pierre-and-Marie-Curie University, France (17 Top-10 subjects, world rank 34)
The top 5 institutions in Asia are:
1. Tsinghua University, China (34 Top-10 subjects, world rank: 15)
2. Zhejiang University, China (29 Top-10 subjects, world rank: 17)
3. National University of Singapore, Singapore (27 Top-10 subjects, world rank: 19)
4. University of Tokyo, Japan (23 Top-10 subjects, world rank 21)
5. Shanghai Jiao Tong University, China (21 Top-10 subjects, world rank 22)
The University of Queensland ranked first in Oceania, the University of São Paulo topped South America, and the universities of the Witwatersrand and Cape Town tied for best in Africa.
In total, 36 countries are represented and 365 institutions achieved at least one Top-10 listing. The USA accounts for 45% of the Top-10 institutions, followed by China (13%), United Kingdom (10%), Canada (5%), and the Netherlands (4%). Australia (3%), Japan (2%), Singapore (2%), France (2%), and Germany (1%) are next with the highest number of placements among the Top-10.
Methodology: The CWUR Rankings by Subject 2017 highlights the world’s elite universities in the sciences and the social sciences, based on the number of research articles in top-tier journals. Data is obtained from Clarivate Analytics (previously the Intellectual Property and Science business of Thomson Reuters). More information about the methodology is available at: cwur.org/methodology/subject-rankings.php
About the Center for World University Rankings: In addition to providing consultation for governments and universities, the Center for World University Rankings provides authoritative global university rankings, which are trusted by students, academics, university administrators, and government officials from around the world