Lactoferrin and its Role in Wound Healing - Authors: Takayama, Yoshiharu
About this book
Lactoferrin is an iron-binding glycoprotein belonging to the transferrin family. It acts as a defense in host animals against microbes and viruses, since it has a broad spectrum of antimicrobial and antiviral activities. Lactoferrin has been shown to regulate the growth and differentiation of many types of cells. The results of recent studies indicate that lactoferrin is a potent regulator of dermal fibroblasts, and promotes cutaneous wound healing. The collagen gel contraction, a model of wound contraction during wound healing process, and migration of human fibroblasts were enhanced by lactoferrin. LRP-1 (LDL Receptor related Protein-1) acts as a signaling receptor for lactoferrin that mediate fibroblast response to lactoferrin by activating ERK/MAPK signaling pathway. In addition, lactoferrin promotes biosynthesis of extracellular matrix (ECM) component such as type-I collagen and hyaluronan. Hyaluronan is a major component of ECM in connective tissue and promotes wound healing. The promoting effect of lactoferrin on hyaluronan production was accompanied by promotion of HAS2 (hyaluronan synthase 2) expression.
These observations suggest that lactoferrin promotes the wound healing by providing an ECM that promotes fibroblast migration. Lactoferrin is also known for its anti-inflammatory and immune modulating properties. According to recent in vivo study, lactoferrin promotes wound repair by promoting the early inflammatory phase of wound healing. Based on this, recombinant human lactoferrin was subsequently tested clinically in a Phase II trial in patients with diabetic ulcers and was found to be effective. Lactoferrin should be further evaluated in patients with diabetic and other types of ulcers.
- Donovan Sharon M.; The Role of Lactoferrin in Gastrointestinal and Immune Development and Function: A Preclinical Perspective. The Journal of Pediatrics VOLUME 173, SUPPLEMENT , S16-S28, JUNE 01, 2016
- Kaur Gurpreet & Geeta Gathwala. Efficacy of Bovine Lactoferrin Supplementation in Preventing Late-onset Sepsis in low Birth Weight Neonates: A Randomized Placebo-Controlled Clinical Trial. Journal of Tropical Pediatrics, Volume 61, Issue 5, October 2015, Pages 370–376
- Awadasseid A. et al.; Initial success in the identification and management of the coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) indicates human-to-human transmission in Wuhan, China. Int J Biol Sci. 2020 Apr 6;16(11):1846-1860. doi: 10.7150/ijbs.45018. eCollection 2020.
- Blaess M. et al.; COVID-19/SARS-CoV-2 Infection: Lysosomes and Lysosomotropism Implicate New Treatment Strategies and Personal Risks. Int J Mol Sci. 2020 Jul 13;21(14):4953. doi: 10.3390/ijms21144953.
- Chang Raymond, Tzi Bun Ng, Wei-ZenSun; Lactoferrin as potential preventative and adjunct treatment for COVID-19; International Journal of Antimicrobial Agents Volume 56, Issue 3, September 2020, 106118
- Sreus A. G. et al.; COVID-19 during Pregnancy and Postpartum: Antiviral Spectrum of Maternal Lactoferrin in Fetal and Neonatal Defense; Journal of Dietary Supplements; 08 Nov 2020
- Zhai Xiaofeng et al; Comparison of Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome Coronavirus 2 Spike Protein Binding to ACE2 Receptors from Human, Pets, Farm Animals, and Putative Intermediate Hosts.; J Virol. 2020 Jul 16;94(15):e00831-20. doi: 10.1128/J. Vi.00831-20. Print 2020 Jul 16.
- Zhang Wan-Ying et al.: Molecular mechanism prediction analysis of compound Kushen injection in the treatment of COVID-19 based on network pharmacology and molecular docking. Traditional Medicine Research 2020, 5 (5): 413-424. doi: 10.12032/TMR20200518180
Ultimi da Redazione
- NUCLEARE, PUBBLICATA LA CARTA NAZIONALE AREE POTENZIALMENTE IDONEE AL DEPOSITO
- In 13 anni cancellata un'area di foresta grande come la California
- Nitruri 2D per una microelettronica super efficiente
- CORONAVIRUS E TECNOLOGIA: DALLA DAD AI SOCIAL. I CONSIGLI DEGLI ESPERTI DEL BAMBINO GESU’
- Greenpeace: Allarme plastica nel make-up – Il video spot di DLV BBDO diretto da Matteo Rovere e interpretato da Greta Scarano
Lascia un commento
Assicurati di aver digitato tutte le informazioni richieste, evidenziate da un asterisco (*). Non è consentito codice HTML.