Lactoferrin (LF): a natural antimicrobial protein
Improved awareness regarding diet and health linkages has motivated researchers to give more attention to the health perspectives of individual foods. During the previous two decades, the global dairy industry diverted its interest from simple processing of commodities to the value addition. A significant income is being earned in the dairy industry from specialty proteins. Pakistan ranked 3rd in milk production worldwide and different milking animals e.g. cow, buffalo, goat and camel should be studied for their potential for generating new health-promoting diets and nutraceuticals foods. Bioactive proteins and peptides from having abundant applications including an antimicrobial food additive, dietary supplements, functional foods and nutraceuticals. Proteins from milk have a balanced composition of amino acids promising novel functional products. These also enhance the consistency and sensorial characteristics of various dairy products. Amongst, lactoferrin reveal bacteriostatic as well as bactericidal bustle against a variety of microorganisms.
It binds iron thus depriving it required for growth like L. monocytogenes, Salmonella spp, Escherichia coli, Bacillus stearothermophilus, Shigella dysenteriae and Bacillus subtilis. Lactoferrin executes as an alternative to antibiotics. It acts as a natural antimicrobial for bio preservation ranging from dairy, meat, seafood, beverages, bakery products, acne care, infant formulas, extending shelf life, ensuring safety and improving health by acting against life-threatening diseases like cancer, hepatitis, respiratory infections, and foodborne diseases in infants, children and adults etc. In the nutshell, the current review discusses the importance and safety perspectives of lactoferrin in the food industry as well as the health sector.
International Journal of Food Properties. Volume 22, 2019 - Issue 1. https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/10942912.2019.1666137
- Ali O.M. et al. Synthesis of lactoferrin mesoporous silica nanoparticles for pemetrexed/ellagic acid synergistic breast cancer therapy. Colloids Surf B. Biointerfaces. 2020 Apr; vol.188:110824.
- Awadasseid A. et al.; Initial success in the identification and management of the coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) indicates human-to-human transmission in Wuhan, China. Int J Biol Sci. 2020 Apr 6;16(11):1846-1860. doi: 10.7150/ijbs.45018. eCollection 2020.
- Binte Aziz Asma; Debate on Bacille Calmette-Guérin vaccination against COVID-19: Is it worth performing clinical trials? Biosafety and Health, 2020
- Blaess M. et al.; COVID-19/SARS-CoV-2 Infection: Lysosomes and Lysosomotropism Implicate New Treatment Strategies and Personal Risks. Int J Mol Sci. 2020 Jul 13;21(14):4953. doi: 10.3390/ijms21144953.
- Campione Elena et al.; Lactoferrin as Protective Natural Barrier of Respiratory and Intestinal Mucosa against Coronavirus Infection and Inflammation; Int. J. Mol. Sci. 2020, 21(14), 4903
- Chang Raymond, Tzi Bun Ng, Wei-ZenSun; Lactoferrin as potential preventative and adjunct treatment for COVID-19; International Journal of Antimicrobial Agents Volume 56, Issue 3, September 2020, 106118
- Church Dawson et al., App-Based Delivery of Clinical Emotional Freedom Techniques: Cross-Sectional Study of App User Self-Ratings; JMIR Mhealth Uhealth, 2020
- Deshmukh V, et al.; COVID-19: a conundrum to decipher. Eur Rev Med Pharmacol Sci. 2020 May;24(10):5830-5841. doi: 10.26355/eurrev_202005_21378.
- Donovan Sharon M.; The Role of Lactoferrin in Gastrointestinal and Immune Development and Function: A Preclinical Perspective. The Journal of Pediatrics VOLUME 173, SUPPLEMENT , S16-S28, JUNE 01, 2016
- Doyle Lex W. & Jeanie L. Y. Cheong. Does bovine lactoferrin prevent late-onset neonatal sepsis? The Lancet VOLUME 393, ISSUE 10170, P382-384, FEBRUARY 02, 2019
- Drago-Serrano et al.; Lactoferrin: Balancing Ups and Downs of Inflammation Due to Microbial Infections; Int J Mol Sci, 2017
- ELFIN Trial Investigators Group; Enteral lactoferrin supplementation for very preterm infants: a randomised placebo-controlled trial. Lancet VOLUME 393, ISSUE 10170, P423-433, FEBRUARY 02, 2019
- Elzoghby Ahmed O.et al. Lactoferrin, a multi-functional glycoprotein: Active therapeutic, drug nanocarrier & targeting ligand
- Fernández-Lázaro Diego et al.; Physical Exercise as a Multimodal Tool for COVID-19: Could It Be Used as a Preventive Strategy? Int J Environ Res Public Health
- Kaur Gurpreet & Geeta Gathwala. Efficacy of Bovine Lactoferrin Supplementation in Preventing Late-onset Sepsis in low Birth Weight Neonates: A Randomized Placebo-Controlled Clinical Trial. Journal of Tropical Pediatrics, Volume 61, Issue 5, October 2015, Pages 370–376
- Giulia Martina Cavestro, Veronica Iori, Nadia Dal Bò, Angelo Franzè et all Lactoferrin: Mechanism of action, clinical significance and therapeutic relevance
- Groves Merton L. The Isolation of a Red Protein from Milk2. J. Am. Chem. Soc. 1960, 82, 13, 3345–3350
- Jawhara et al.; Could Intravenous Immunoglobulin Collected from Recovered Coronavirus Patients Protect against COVID-19 and Strengthen the Immune System of New Patients? Int J Mol Sci, 2020
- Legrand Dominique. Overview of Lactoferrin as a Natural Immune Modulator. The Journal of Pediatrics VOLUME 173, SUPPLEMENT , S10-S15, JUNE 01, 2016
- Mirabelli Carmen et al.; Morphological Cell Profiling of SARS-CoV-2 Infection Identifies Drug Repurposing Candidates for COVID-19; BioRxiv. Preprint. NaN NaN [revised 2020 Sep 28].
- Pammi Mohan & Gautham Suresh; Enteral lactoferrin supplementation for prevention of sepsis and necrotizing enterocolitis in preterm infants. Cochrane Database Syst. Rev.2017 Jun 28;6(6):CD007137.
- Root‐Bernstein Robert Age and Location in Severity of COVID‐19 Pathology: Do Lactoferrin and Pneumococcal Vaccination Explain Low Infant Mortality and Regional Differences?
- Sreus A. G. et al.; COVID-19 during Pregnancy and Postpartum: Antiviral Spectrum of Maternal Lactoferrin in Fetal and Neonatal Defense; Journal of Dietary Supplements; 08 Nov 2020
- Satué-Gracia M. T. et al. Lactoferrin in infant formulas: effect on oxidation. J. Agric. Food Chem. 2000 Oct;48(10):4984-90.
- Superti Fabiana. Lactoferrin from Bovine Milk: A Protective Companion for Life. Nutrients 2020, 12(9), 2562
- Takayama Y. & Takezawa T. Lactoferrin promotes collagen gel contractile activity of fibroblasts mediated by lipoprotein receptors. Biochemistry and Cell Biology = Biochimie et Biologie Cellulaire, 01 Jun 2006, 84(3):268-274
- Trend Stephanie et al.; Levels of innate immune factors in preterm and term mothers’ breast milk during the 1st month postpartum. British Journal of Nutrition Volume 115 supplement 7.
- Universidad Peruana Cayetano Heredia; Lactoferrin for Prevention of COVID-19 in Health Care Workers
- Università Tor Vergata - Una risposta contro il Covid-19: la glicoproteina lattoferrina, una componente dell’immunità innata
- Zhai Xiaofeng et al; Comparison of Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome Coronavirus 2 Spike Protein Binding to ACE2 Receptors from Human, Pets, Farm Animals, and Putative Intermediate Hosts.; J Virol. 2020 Jul 16;94(15):e00831-20. doi: 10.1128/J. Vi.00831-20. Print 2020 Jul 16.
- Zhang Wan-Ying et al.: Molecular mechanism prediction analysis of compound Kushen injection in the treatment of COVID-19 based on network pharmacology and molecular docking. Traditional Medicine Research 2020, 5 (5): 413-424. doi: 10.12032/TMR20200518180
- Zhang Wan-Ying et al.; Treating COVID-19 by traditional Chinese medicine: a charming strategy?Traditional Medicine Research 2020, Vol. 5 Issue (4): 178-181